Friday, November 16, 2012

Vintage tips of the day Pt.1

I have a nice little collection of vintage style home-help books...I collect them. I simply cannot walk past one if I see it for sale. Thus, I thought I'd make a new segment of Vintage Tips, to share some of these practical domestic gems with you all :)



#1 To protect stored linens and clothing...

Add a small piece of felt or cloth sprinkled with lavender oil to the final rinse when laundering items to be stored.  Not only will the laundry have a delicate fragrance but the lavender odour helps repel insects such as silverfish and moths.


#2  To deodorise your home...

Deodorise refrigerators, wardrobes and bathrooms with a dish or open box of bicarbonate of soda.  Saturate a cotton ball with vanilla and place inside the refrigerator or car.  Place dishes of white vinegar in the kitchen to help destroy odours.


#3 Nifty pincushion...

Use a bar of soap as a pincushion. The soap lubricates the pins so they are easier to insert.



#4 Clever clothes pegs...

Clip a peg onto each end of a hanger to stop sleeveless items from slipping off.



#5 Sealing wooden spoons...

Soak overnight in apple cider vinegar to seal wood before initial use.




Any tips you'd like to see on here? Leave me a comment! :)






3 comments:

  1. Have you got any vintage tips for removing a variety of different stains from clothing? Or just any vintage tips for how to store clothes would be perfect :)
    Love this blog segment, following you now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou!! Yes I sure do- I'll be sure to include some in my next round of Vintage Tips:)
    Thanks for stopping by!
    Candi
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good advice! I'll have to try the wooden spoon trick for sure. Thanks

    Nestled in Nostalgia

    ReplyDelete